Mark

Default miter saw -- delta / dewalt to replace ridgid

eric wrote:
because alinging it is a PIA

The saw works fine, I have had it for 3 years and used it for all sorts of
heavy and light stuff around the house -- but getting it zero'ed in sucks.

I did some shopping for a compound miter a couple of years ago, I
decided on the 12" Porter-Cable 3802 compound miter.

I didn't like the indexing systems on most saws, screwing or inserting a
pin in a cast V or hole wasn't my idea of accuracy. The P-C and DeWalt
had the same type of index system. The DeWalts index plate was somewhat
thin.

This weakness was illustrated at HD. They're display unit had something
dropped on it mangling the plate. I didn't see any sharp gouges in the
plate so I don't think a block of steel was dropped on it.

I see DW has since added a lip to the index plate making it stronger and
less susceptible to this type of damage.

I have used the P-C to cut up to 4x6 and used it to build a 320 sq. ft
deck, it doesn't seem to have suffered.

I need to align it because I bounced the fence with the extension
against a wall (pretty hard). The 6 main fence fasteners are in the open
and able to be turned with the saw blade wrench. Two of the the 4 aux
fences fasteners are also workable with the blade wrench, the other two
require a box or open end wrench. All can be accessed without lifting
the saw. The 6 index plate fasteners have to be accessed from underneath.

I have no idea how difficult aligning the saw will be, if I write it
appears easy it will , of course, be a bitc .... be difficult.

To align it you have to flip it over and work it from the bottom. Both the
delta and the dewalt allow you to set the alignment by adjusting the angle
guage on the top of the saw, once you have set it to 0 (hope this makes
sense)

"Rob V" wrote in message
. com...

Just curious - why are you getting rid of your Ridgid??

"eric" wrote in message

I am looking to replace my Ridgid 12" miter saw with the delta 36-312

model,

I was considering the dewalt 705S but since both the delta and the

dewalt

are the same price ~$299 and delta is now offering a $50 rebate I am

leaning

towards delta, anybody seen / used the delta / dewalt models and care to
comment on either ?

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)