Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph[_10_] Ralph[_10_] is offline

Default Easy Rougher Review

On Jun 4, 8:00*am, mac davis wrote:
On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 17:46:14 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

But I am also interested in the comparative utility of
the Hunter and the Rougher, as they both advertise
excellence in roughing and finishing cuts.

* *-- Andy Barss

I can't speak for the Hunter, Andy.. Robohippy uses them a lot..

I also use it, bot -only- for hollowing end-grain. For that it takes
a fair cut and leaves a fair finish. You need to play with it a bit to
get the angle right, but it does work as advertised.
For shear-cut/finish work, I prefer the Sorby Shear tool, it is set
to force the angle to the correct angle for a shear-cut, and the blade
(being HSS) can be user sharpened.