Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Easy Rougher Review

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 17:46:14 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

But I am also interested in the comparative utility of
the Hunter and the Rougher, as they both advertise
excellence in roughing and finishing cuts.

-- Andy Barss

I can't speak for the Hunter, Andy.. Robohippy uses them a lot..

I have the mega eliminator, which is a 1" diameter stainless steel shaft with a
"Hunter type" carbide cutter and I use it a lot..

I don't use it for roughing for a couple of reasons, the first being that I feel
that impacts are going to be hard on the carbide, which can be brittle..
Might not be a fact, as I've only put a noticeable chip in one cutter, and that
one got dropped..
Second, roughing something, especially the odd chunks that I usually start with,
just seems wrong with a little round disk..
I use a roughing gouge or Olan tool for that because I feel that they're made
for that job..

On a bowl blank that was already rounded on the bandsaw, you could pretty much
do the whole bowl with the carbide cutter, but other than "see if I can do it",
I'm not sure why anyone would..
Also with cutters at over $20 each plus shipping, I'm pretty careful about when
to use the carbide and when another tool will do as well..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing