Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default OT - Birds crashing into windows

On 2009-06-04, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
John wrote:
This year I have had several birds kill themselves by flying into
our back windows - I suppose it is a reflection of the sky they
see. All have been the same type (Finch with a yellow area near
their tail)

Why is this year the only time in 20 at the same house that I have
encountered this? Lazy cats?

The cats will be along to pick up the carrion and get themselves a
bad name for 'killing the birds'
No need. It's already well known that domestic cats are the principal
cause of songbird death in the UK.

Plus cats already have a bad name for crapping all over other people's
gardens.

Quite put me off urban gardens. In London, as one of the few left with a
lawn, my garden was the neighbourhood cat toilet. When I moved a small
paved garden was a major attraction.

Rob

Recently had that problem - applied a liberal dose of supposedly well
rotted horse manure - no cats have yet been back. Only a few weeks so far...

--
Rod

onset.