Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Standard Incandescent vs. Halogen Lumens Output

On Jun 4, 7:44*am, wrote:
On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 05:48:57 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

wrote:
I want to use a medium base halogen light bulb where I have previously used
both a standard incandescent as well as a CFL. *The size restriction of the
fixture dictates that the envelope be no larger than a 60 watt incandescent
bulb. *I believe the recommended maximum wattage is also listed as 60 watts.

I need more light from this fixture. *Is there a chart or "rule of thumb"
comparing the light output in lumens of regular incandescent and halogen
bulbs? *I've tried using Google, but haven't found exactly what I'm looking
for.

Just go to the store and look at the actual bulbs. The packages
include both the watts and lumens. You'll find that halogens give a
little more output than a std incandescent, but not a huge increase.
One significant diff though is that the haogens will tend to maintain
that output with less decline over time and last longer.

If you want a big increase, go with the CFL.

TIA *

* * * * Not really. *

* * * * In general the longer the life the less efficient. *halogen
lamps only add a little life to the equation.

* * * * I believe your best bet is going to be the CFL and since the
technology has not really matured yet, there is a lot of variations in
them and what was on the shelf last year has been changed by now. Good
Luck