Posted to sci.electronics.repair
z z is offline

Default Two dehumidifiers lasted only around 2 years each (yikes!)

On Jun 3, 9:08*pm, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
About a year ago I considered getting a dehumidifier for the garage. I
searched the Web for consumer reviews, and the consensus was that, as with
toasters, all brands and models are junk -- particularly those from China,
which covers a lot of territory.

I decided not to purchase any.

most of the consumer ones are made by LG these days, you'll get to
recognize them under different brand names if you do some shopping.
they have a high death rate, but work fine until then. so...... buy a
factory refurbished one for half price (i got mine from some place in
NJ i found on the internet; the site says LG but the brandname you get
might be different); then get a "home warranty" type thing from sears
for $35 a year for the dehimidifier. i get my $35 worth in parts every
year, and it's cheaper than replacing the whole thing every two years,
as you say.

even works if you buy the original item full price, if you have to.