Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] jay-n-123@verizon.net is offline

Default Two dehumidifiers lasted only around 2 years each (yikes!)

Bought a Friedrich dehumidifier in 2005. It stopped working less than 2
years later. Problem was with the compressor. Got them to give me a
replacement because the parts were no longer available. Replacement was an
Amana. This one lasted a couple of months less than 2 years.

Keep in mind that I have only use these dehumidifiers generally from the end
of May to end of Sept., and I only need the humidity reduced by 10 or 15% at
the most. I usually have them shut off for 6 or 7 hours per day and, for
the rest of the day, I have turned on, but set to a level that would reduce
the humidity by around 15% at the most. This year, I hadn't tried using the
dehumidifier until today, when I found out it isn't working correctly.

On this Amana unit, the bottom half of the case feels warm, since it houses
the compressor, and I can hear the compressor humming, but the fan is
blowing cool air. And no, the coils do not appear to need cleaning. (yes,
I did open up the case and look). When running, the unit is blowing cool
air instead of warm air and the case of the unit is sweating on one side as
if only the right half of the coils (when facing the unit from the front)
are cooling down. When I had the case open, the right half of the coils
felt a lot cooler to the touch than the left half (when facing the unit from
the front).

I'd probably get stuck with diagnostics and labor to have this fixed. It
might not be worth it as opposed to getting a new one.

Does anyone make a dehumidifier that actually lasts longer than 2 years? If
so, please let me know what brands will last longer. Should I get an
extended warranty this time?

Thanks,

J.