Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Odd fence post mix?

Doing a fencing job at the mo, and its being a right embuggerance.

Posts are rotten at ground level & seem to be embedded in a mixture of
hardcore & dry mix sand/cement. The hardcore breaks out OK but the crumbly
dry mix is a PITA.

Using a big breaker (hired) but whats happening is that the point digs into
the crumbly stuff for about 2" then jams & has be pulled out. You have to
hold the breaker back to stop the point sticking.

I'm guessing, but the section of fence causing the trouble is at the bottom
of a fairly long slope and I reckon it gets very wet in bad weather. I
suspect that the posts were inserted by packing hardcore around them & then
using a dry mix of sand/cement like you would when pointing a patio.

Anyone come across this method of fence post fixing before?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk