Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default OT Neighbor (rant)

dgk wrote:
On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 09:08:47 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Change you can believe in. Fast track to government take
over.

I believe in my government - I own part of it. I have no faith in
corporations that exist only to enrich themselves. Given the choice,
and that is the choice, I'll take the government.

Sorry you don't believe in our government. Perhaps you'd be happier
somewhere else.

Private enterprise creates wealth; governments destroy wealth.

The commercial mindset depends upon voluntary contracts and eschews force.
Unfortunately, governments must exist to compel compliance with these
voluntary contracts - as such, governments are a cost of doing business
(like giving away paper bags). The only private business that has the
wherewithal to compel compliance is the Mafia.

As for corporations enriching themselves, they don't. They don't take the
money and put it in a mattress or destroy it, they use it to create jobs and
more wealth. It is governments that do the equivalent of burning money.

There is almost nothing that private enterprise can't do cheaper than a
government. Military? Most wars have been fought by mercenaries or militias.
If we need an army, we could hire one. Police? There are FAR more private
security guards in my city than cops. Fire protection? 85% of America's fire
fighters are volunteers. And what has any branch of government ever done
regarding bubble-baths or bee-bites?

Even Walmart (according to one study funded by Walmart) has done more to
improve the standard of living for lower and middle-class people than all
the government programs combined (food stamps, AFDC, Social Security,
Medicare, Medicaid, etc.). "...Wal-Mart saved American consumers $236
billion in 2004, or $2,239 for the average American household..."
http://www.manufacturingnews.com/new...09/furman.html

Heck, just today, a study was released showing the presence of a Walmart
reduces obesity among its patrons!
http://boards.ign.com/current_events.../180289454/p1/

No, as George Will once said: "Government should protect the borders and
deliver the mail. When they prove competent at those tasks, we might trust
them with something else."