Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy Andy is offline

Default reduce sound transmission between interior walls

Loose-fill slag wool insulation.

Excellent Sound Absorption
The fibrous structure and high density of rock and slag wool
insulation offer excellent sound absorption properties, making these
products an outstanding part of overall wall systems designed to
reduce sound transmission.

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 05:26:03 -0500, "mook johnson"
wrote:

I've googled this and all the information is aimed at soundPROOFING the
walls. I'd just like to make a decent reduction in the amount of sound that
passes through the walls.

The usual advice is the add another layer of drywall with some insulation
between, put staggered studs so the wall board from one room does not touch
the wall board in the other room, etc etc. All of these make perfect since
and would be very effective at reducing the sound transmitted but they are
major projects.

I'm looking for bang for the buck here.

Right now, I have two bedrooms that share a wall. One has my 1 year old
light sleeper and the other my 3 year old noise maker (toys that play music
and talk). Also both of these bedrooms share a wall with my living room
where the TV is. To make matters worse I have some hearing damage so I need
the TV a little louder than usual so I can hear what people are saying. Not
blasting loud but I can't turn it down to whisper levels and make out all of
the words.

The wall construction is typical with a 2x4 studs between two 1/2" drywall
sheets.

Is there a product that can be blown into the walls through small (say
1-2")holes between the studs, in the top sil (non load bearing sil from in
the attic) or the sheetock itself? I'm thinking of some type of blow-in
insulation to reduce the sound from echoing in the dead space between the
two sheetrock walls.

I've seen several say that when they remodel and put plain old insulation in
there interior walls with nothing else special it made a notiable
difference. I'd like to duplicate that except witout removing the walls.

any ideas?