Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Post mortem on an IEC connector

In article ,
"Arfa Daily" wrote:

Still, apparently, they have now located some wreckage 400 miles out into
the Atlantic, so I guess that they have around 28 days left to locate and
recover the CVR and FDR boxes, which apparently are likely to be lying in
around 13000 feet of water. Seems like the batteries for the pingers are
good for about 30 days, and the transmitter is just about man enough to get
a signal through 15000 feet of salt water. I guess that if they can recover
them and they continued to function for any time after the initial 'event',
then we could know quite quickly what the primary cause of it going down
was.

This whole "black box recovery" stuff seems silly to me. Given the
number of accidents in which the recorders are never found, or when
found are FUBAR, and given today's communications technology, I don't
know why data isn't being constantly streamed to ground recording
centers.