Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Regular bulbs (almost) as good as CFLs

On 6/2/2009 2:32 PM RicodJour spake thus:

On Jun 2, 4:20 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

"Chunlei Guo, associate professor of optics at the University of Rochester,
... have been able to squeeze out fluorescent-like energy performance from
an incandescent light bulb. The breakthrough boils down to a laser
treatment of the bulb's tungsten filament, a processing step which could one
day become a standard in the light bulb industry."

Too late. Incandescent bulbs will soon be illegal.

From that article:
"The pulse lasts a mere femtosecond, and delivers as much power as the
entire grid of North America into a needle point size spot."

Huh? I think they left out one of the units or something, and if they
didn't I don't see how using that much energy to modify the filaments
could save energy on a production scale.

Read the comments below the article: lots of sloppy "science" in the text.

I forwarded this article to my pointy-headed scientist friend. Curious
to see what he has to say about this.