Posted to alt.home.repair
harkonen harkonen is offline

Default how to fix plastic pipe leak near pool pump

harkonen had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...mp-376330-.htm
:

Ashton Crusher wrote:

On 31 May 2009 14:27:42 GMT,
(harkonen) wrote:

harkonen had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...mp-239130-.htm
:
I had the exact same issue with my pool pump just recently (leaking
from
the threaded PVC joint into pump). Yes it happened when the pump
ran dry
for a few hours and overheated.

I took the piece off by cutting the line further down and screwing
it
loose. The threads looked fine so I cleaned it and put teflon
tape. I
had to put a couple of the line that was cut. I reattached it and
to my
disappointment it is still leaking (less than before but it still
leaks).
Should I replace the 2" threaded PVC piece completely? What
type of joint
glue or tape should I use so I can fix this once and for all? In
case
this happens again is there an easier system I could install to
avoid
cutting pipe?

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Eric

I had the same problem. To avoid repetitive cutting of the pipe
instead of regluing the pipe with fittings I used compression sleeves
that slip over the ends of the cut pipe. No matter how much Teflon
tape or pipe dope I used on mine I could not get it to stop leaking.
The solution was to buy a new piece for that part of the pump with the
threads. Luckily it was not very expensive for the new piece and it
has much tighter threads, no leaks with just the normal amount of
tape.

Thanks for everyone's posts to this problem. I am having a difficulty
finding the Rector Seal threaded pipe sealer and Fernco pressure couplings
but have emailed the companies to find a source for their products.

One further question. I do not have any stretch of pipe leaving the pump
into the filter unit that I can cut. It is all made of either elbows or
couplings that have all been sealed with PVC glue. What should one do?