Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Acetone in keyhole?

Frank wrote in
:

Justin wrote:
Hello,
After locking myself out of my apartment yesterday, I managed to make
the problem worse by fiddling with a piece of plastic in the lock
which broke off and ended up being shoved pretty far into the back of
the key hole. I tried using some needles to get it out, but no dice.
Anyone have a reasonably cheap solution? Would injecting acetone
damage the mechanism in any way?

Not all plastics are soluble in acetone, and I suspect, as others, that
it will gum things up. To dissolve it you would probably need to flush
quite a bit with acetone then you risk harming the paint on the door.

maybe heating up a wire like a paper clip,and sticking the hot end into
the plastic,and after it cools,pulling it and hopefully the plastic,out
with it.

Or try a very fine scrollsaw blade,oriented so the teeth hook the plastic
on the pullout.

BTW,Deadbolt locks will not let you lock yourself out.
I never use the doorknob lock,that can lock you out.
And keep a spare key in your wallet.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik