Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] sligoNoSPAMjoe@hotmail.com is offline

Default Genie screw drive stops and starts

On 31 May 2009 22:30:19 GMT, (newz)
wrote:

I have an older Genie screw drive (sd9500) which all of a sudden has
started acting odd. It stops partway down and partway up. I tried cranking
up the the safety adjustment and even disconnected the safety switch (when
there is too much vibration the safety hub hits this switch). I thought it
might be the motor thermal fuse but the motor starts right up after a
press of the button....doesn't need any cool down time. Now the door goes
up a little and down a little....after a minute it tries again. Btw....it
never had a photo sensor safety device so that gets ruled out.
Being an older unit it is pretty basic....I just can't figure what else it
could be. Thoughts?

It sounds like it is binding. Check it by disconnecting the
motor and open and close it manually. If a spring is broken or if the
springs are unevenly supporting the door, it will bind.

Note: Adjusting springs can be a dangerous job. If you are not sure
you know what you are doing, leave it to the pros.