Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is there a point at which it's unsafe to keep an old washer/dryer going?

On Mon, 25 May 2009 20:46:04 -0700 (PDT), brassplyer
wrote:

I've got a 70's era washer and dryer that I got used in the late 80's.
The drum sliders on the dryer have worn and the drum is at a low
angle, the transmission on the washer finally gave up the ghost.

I can get a replacement transmission for the washer and renovate the
drum sliders on the dryer, but it occurs to me that besides the
hardware, there's also 30-plus year old electrical components. I
wonder if at a certain point appliances become dangerous to keep
going.

The problem I have with new appliances is that they all seem to
utilize computer chip/circuit board technology. One of the great
things about the old washer/dryer is they utilize relatively simple
mechanical controls which appear to have contributed to their
longevity.

Does anyone still make rock-solid barebones washers and dryers with
mechanical controls?

I would not consider an old appliance that is properly maintained as
"dangerous." The washers with 50 buttons on them don't clean clothes
any better than one with two buttons. Consumer Reports says the
fewer the buttons, the better the value.