Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Bob Larter Bob Larter is offline

Default Why can't electronics on new washers & dryers be tougher?

Ulysses wrote:
I have become extremely hesitant to buy any electronics any more. All of
the stuff seems to be crap that barely outlasts the warranty. For the first
time I actually paid for an extended warranty on a DVD recorder and ended up
needing it. I have to look at it now as if it costs $400 (including
extended 3 year warranty) then I have to pay $100 per year in order to have
the luxury of a DVD recorder. If it last longer than that then it's just
luck and I sure don't count on it. My daughter has a Kodak digital camera.
It lasted just past the warranty. Kodak wants more to fix it than a new one
with more features costs. Meanwhile my old Brownie, Instamatic, and other
cheap, bottom-of-the-line Kodak cameras still work fine. The Brownie is
probably over 60 years old.

Buy a Canon. All three of mine[0] are well past their warranty, & are
still going strong. (Including the original batteries!)

[0] An S30 digicam, an EOS-10D & an EOS-1Dmk2.