Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default OT - A intriguing "open lette"r on health care ...

dpb wrote:
In addition, I think it should be required that all salaried workers
contribute something to a plan regardless of salary level--opting out
unless demonstrate are covered under a spousal plan or independently
(similar to showing proof of auto insurance for registration) would not
be allowed.

Another suggestion/possibility along the above line occurred to me --
While in general I'm not a fan of tax policy for behavior, in some
instances it does have beneficial uses. How about if can't show
contribution from employer or self-paid premiums or adequate/equivalent
coverage at a fixed level depending upon AGI, additional charge (not
tax) for the medical pool added. If there's a federal coverage, it's
the premium for it; otherwise premium to carrier of choice w/ at least
minimum coverage.

That'll pick up the doofuses like ex-SIL who dropped participation and
the court-mandated childrens' coverage and claimed penny-stricken and
broke when granddaughter had short hospital stay during visit here
leaving daughter holding the bag. Yet, always has plenty of $$ for the
toys, etc., etc, etc., ...