Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] keithw86@gmail.com is offline

Default Never Thought I'd See It

On Jun 1, 10:20*am, "sweet sawdust"
wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Jun 1, 8:53 am, "dadiOH" wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Never thought I'd see it, bans on smoking.

When I came to California 20 years ago, trying to find a restaurant
with a no smoking section was a real challenge.

Today, smoking inside buildings is not permitted, cities like
Camarillo have totally banned smoking, smoking on the beaches is
banned and now there is discussion to ban smoking on golf courses.

Understand NYC has also banned smoking so both coasts are progressing
toward the heartland.

The recent addition of another $0.60+/pack federal tax doesn't hurt
either.

Yeah, the Smoke Nazis have won.

They still putt-putt around in their myriad cars, though, belching fumes
as
they do. They also have to indure (as do all of us) less fresh air when
they fly. True, there is no smoke in all that recirculated air but there
are whatever germs the passengers are exhaling or sneezing or coughing,
all
being recirculated...and recirculated...and recirculated. They also beam
happily at their small children as said bairns merrily kick away at the
back
of the seat in front of them. And, of course, they are so inured to their
child's wailing that it never occurs to them that the wailing might be
irritating to others. Smoke free though...

I don't eat out much anymore.

dadiOH

There was a case where some kid was just losing it and wailing away in
a supermarket. The kids mother pretended not to hear any of it. This
kid was apparently shrieking like a stuck pig.
A woman walked up to the kid's mother and slapped her.

If this happened around here, I would be contributing to the slapper's
defense fund.

When kid was younger he would pull that trick and when I said no he would
start asking me why he couldn't have what ever. *I would quietly tell him
about undone chores, spent allowance and responsibility. This of course
never worked and he would whine louder, *I would again explain louder, not
shouting just loud voice. *After a couple of sessions of this and the
embarrassment of having everyone looking at him he quite asking after the
first no

Once upon a time, about 25 years ago (the kid is 30 now), my son
pitched a fit in a store because we refused to buy him a toy (any toy
- didn't matter). After a short tantrum, I spun the kid around and
gave him a swat on the butt and marched him out of the store as my
wife put our stuff back on the shelves - shopping trip over. Another
woman looked at me in horror and I'm probably lucky she didn't call
the cops. Even then the leftist weenies were nuts about "child
abuse".