Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Looking for router lift recommendations

Upscale wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message
Shaper cutters have maximum tip speed ratings that would be exceeded at
the higher rpm of a router. I can't imagine a manufacturer supplying a
drive speed approaching that of a router w/ a shaper as it would be
quite a complication to prevent it from being used w/ the normal
spindles, not just w/ the router collet.

I'm sure it's my lack of engineering comprehension, but I don't see why a
shaper could not be manufactured that would be capable of the faster speeds
when using router bits. Obviously there's some reason or someone would have
marketed one already.

It's not that it couldn't, only that it would be more expensive for a
(relatively) minor purpose of the machine.

In previous post I was mostly thinking of the liability issue of the
simple solution of a simple variable-speed drive of then using the high
speed w/ large cutters. As above, a solution for only the collet would
be more complicated; ergo, expensive.

That brings me to another question along the same lines. You've got nailers
that run on compressed air and now, you've got battery rechargeable nailers
coming on the market. Why has there never been nailers manufactured that run
on 120v power, bypassing the need for a compressor? What am I missing?

Airlines/tote-able compressors less pita factor than extension
cord/genset is my guess. Weight could at least initially have been a
factor as a secondary even more WAG...