Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Looking for router lift recommendations

Steve Turner wrote:
Upscale wrote:
"Steve Turner" wrote in message
Shaper bits are *expensive*. Most shapers can accommodate router bits
as well, but remember a shaper only spins at about 10,000 RPM (you don't
need to go any faster when you're spinning those big bits), and that's
almost painfully slow for something like a 1/4" straight bit.

Are there any decently priced shapers on the market capable of router
speeds? Or, is that a conflict of usage?

If there are, I'm not aware of them. My impression is that the ability
of a shaper to accommodate router bits is a "nice to have" feature, but
shapers are designed for the big jobs ...

Bingo.

Shaper cutters have maximum tip speed ratings that would be exceeded at
the higher rpm of a router. I can't imagine a manufacturer supplying a
drive speed approaching that of a router w/ a shaper as it would be
quite a complication to prevent it from being used w/ the normal
spindles, not just w/ the router collet.