Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner Steve Turner is offline

Default Looking for router lift recommendations

Upscale wrote:
"Steve Turner" wrote in message
Shaper bits are *expensive*. Most shapers can accommodate router bits
as well, but remember a shaper only spins at about 10,000 RPM (you don't
need to go any faster when you're spinning those big bits), and that's
almost painfully slow for something like a 1/4" straight bit.

Are there any decently priced shapers on the market capable of router
speeds? Or, is that a conflict of usage?

If there are, I'm not aware of them. My impression is that the ability
of a shaper to accommodate router bits is a "nice to have" feature, but
shapers are designed for the big jobs and router bits will either work
for you or they won't depending on the job at hand. As much as I'd
*love* to have a shaper, I only have room for so many machines and most
of what I do can be handled by a router table. I'd have both if I had
the room.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/