Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
brassplyer brassplyer is offline

Default Why can't electronics on new washers & dryers be tougher?

On May 31, 3:45*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
brassplyer wrote:

For as many years as this technology has been around, why can't the
control circuitry be made more bulletproof?

Well when you get right down to it, why does it need circuitry at all?

They all appear to have various bells & whistles - specific setting
for various fabrics, variable speed this, sensor something or other
that, various lights, LED time remaining readout etc. etc

In contrast, the Speed Queen front load units at the laundromat have
about 4 buttons for different temps and that's it - a mechanical
pointer gauge indicates approximately where it is in the cycle. It
might adjust the water level depending on the load size but I can't
say for sure. If there's a front loader made in a similar barebones
way for the home market I haven't seen one at Home Depot or Lowes.
You'd think there would be a market for it. I assume those commercial
units are expensive.