Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default how to fix plastic pipe leak near pool pump

On May 31, 8:52*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2009 17:41:15 -0700, "Rudy"
wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. *What is and where can one find PVC compatable
pipe "dope"? *If I take this apart again I want to get it right. *I have a
Rona, Home Depot, and Lowes in my town.

Any of them will have what you need for glued joints
1. PRIMER *made by Oatey..the liquid (and label) is usually PURPLE. *You
only need the smallest can..about 4 oz/ $ 3.00
Again, thats the PRIMER, follow instructions on the can..

THEN you use the PVC GLUE, it comes in grey, clear and perhaps other
colors..It'll be on the shelf right nexto the Primer at all those stores
too. *Follow the instructions..

DONT GET ABS glue !

Apply, shove together, give the joint a 90 o Twist and HOLD for a
while..especially on the BIG 2" stuff.
Thats the Glued fittings..

The threaded ones..well heres what someone is referring to as Pipe "dope"

http://rectorseal.com/index.php?site...product_id=214

I would make the first joint out of the pump a Fernco pressure cuff.
(the one with the steel collar)

Then when you want to get in there again it is a screwdriver thing.- Hide quoted text -

I kept having leaks on my spa pump and that is how I fixed it. I think
I kept cross threading the PVC everytime I screwed it into the pump. I
must have wasted $40 on PVC fittings.

Jimmie