Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner Steve Turner is offline

Default Looking for router lift recommendations

Upscale wrote:
"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Considering what a good router and table cost, that's a great idea.
I know "HP" is a debatable topic, but the 3/4 HP would worry me,
especially on something designed for such large cutters heads.
Their 1-1/2HP is on sale for 500 bucks.

The only benefit I can see is a little bit of portability and being able to
use the router out of the table. Not much benefit as far as I can see.

It never occurred to me and leads me to ask ~ is there *any* reason to buy a
router and stick it in a table when one can get a decent shaper for the same
money?

Shaper bits are *expensive*. Most shapers can accommodate router bits
as well, but remember a shaper only spins at about 10,000 RPM (you don't
need to go any faster when you're spinning those big bits), and that's
almost painfully slow for something like a 1/4" straight bit.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.