Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default About to become a *true* DIYer ...

Al wrote:
Ok, the time has come for me to get into DIY properly

Some background:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/anglegrinder.htm

So, I need an angle grinder, as clearly this is the solution to 99% of DIY
problems

Yup!

But, what sort of discs do I need, and what sort of jobs can I do with
it/them?

Metal cut off discs and a diamond one for stone are probably the most
useful. Grinding discs can be handy but I find I use them less (apart
from making my dodgy welding look a bit more respectable!)

Typical tasks that I might undertake: Chopping up scrap metal, cutting up
trees (and parts thereof), filing things that are too big down to things

You can get wood sculpting attachments/blades for angle grinders - but
they are not exactly traditional wood working tools!

I have a pathalogical fear of power tools and DIY thanks to my father
Also I find the use of an orbital sander or hedgetrimmer physically
draining (last bout of hedge trimming gave me the shakes for a day!). Dare
I use an angle grinder? Am I man enough?

Get a reasonably decent one - it should give you less vibration, and
usually have a nice slim body that you can hold more easily.

Seriously, based on the above, what do I need as a basic spec, and what
discs do I need (some seem astonishingly expensive!).

A few wire brushes and flap discs can be very handy as well.

--
Cheers,

John.