Posted to alt.home.repair
harkonen harkonen is offline

Default how to fix plastic pipe leak near pool pump

harkonen had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...mp-376209-.htm
:
Thanks for the suggestions. What is and where can one find PVC compatable
pipe "dope"? If I take this apart again I want to get it right. I have a
Rona, Home Depot, and Lowes in my town.

Eric

Bob F wrote:

harkonen wrote:
harkonen had written this in response to

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...mp-239130-.htm

I had the exact same issue with my pool pump just recently
(leaking
from the threaded PVC joint into pump). Yes it happened when the
pump ran dry for a few hours and overheated.

I took the piece off by cutting the line further down and screwing
it
loose. The threads looked fine so I cleaned it and put teflon
tape.
I had to put a couple of the line that was cut. I reattached it
and
to my disappointment it is still leaking (less than before but it
still leaks). Should I replace the 2" threaded PVC piece
completely?
What type of joint glue or tape should I use so I can fix this
once
and for all? In case this happens again is there an easier system
could install to avoid cutting pipe?

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Eric

PVC compatable pipe "dope" works better than tape in my
experience.