Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default About to become a *true* DIYer ...

Tim S wrote:
Al coughed up some electrons that declared:

Ok, the time has come for me to get into DIY properly

So, I need an angle grinder, as clearly this is the solution to 99%
of DIY problems

Current DIY armoury include a cheap 400w hammer drill, a cheap
orbital sander, both from Woolies (RIP), cheap leaf blowers, flymos,
hedge trimmers from DIY sheds etc. I can just about manage to use
most of them. Though not at the same time. Quite happy with hand
tools, though likely to cut myself on anything sharp

I know what an angle grinder looks like, and I know where to buy a
basic one, thanks to recent threads here.

My recommendation is:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12131/...-Grinder-240V#

Blue Bosch - cheap as the green bosch from other places. Quite
acompetant machine.

I'd still opt for the Site/Makita for £19. Can't fault it.

But, what sort of discs do I need, and what sort of jobs can I do
with it/them?

There's 3 basic types of grit disc: metal cutting, stone (and
concrete) cutting and a thicker grinding disc.

There are 4 surely? Metal cutting & grinding + stone cutting & grinding.

Also can take diamond discs for longer work on stone.

I'd get 10 metal, 5 grinders and a diamond blade:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/34350/...ard-115x22-2mm

And see how you get on. The grit discs get eaten pretty quicky, you
may not do that much grinding (as opposed to cutting) and the diamond
disc should last a while.

Aldi do good packs of discs inc diamond from time to time.

Typical tasks that I might undertake: Chopping up scrap metal,
cutting up trees (and parts thereof), filing things that are too big
down to things that are less big, making souffles (OK, not the ideal
tool), and just generally removing things that are in the way.

I have a pathalogical fear of power tools and DIY thanks to my
father Also I find the use of an orbital sander or hedgetrimmer
physically draining (last bout of hedge trimming gave me the shakes
for a day!). Dare I use an angle grinder? Am I man enough?

It *doesn't* do trees(!)

Absolutely not trees!

But you can get a lot of milage out of a 4 1/2" grinder for random
stuff. It's not big enough for lopping up paving slabs (really want a
9" or 12") but it's a hell of a lot less scary and it will be good
for all those little jobs with tighter access.

Seriously, based on the above, what do I need as a basic spec, and
what discs do I need (some seem astonishingly expensive!).

8 quid for your diamond, 40 quid for a half decent grinder, 8 quid
for 10 metal discs... Not too bad.

Don't forget to include 1 pair ear defenders, 1 pair googles or face
visor and one pair of leather gloves. The first two are *essential*
and the last will save your hands.

Indeed. Don't underestimate how much damage an angle grinder can do to
human flesh. Treat it with respect.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk