Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default MDPE copper unions?

Andrew Mawson coughed up some electrons that declared:

Personally I wouldn't put straight copper pipe underground. I'd bring
it into the building and convert to copper indoors where the risk of
corrosion is much reduced. Beware of brass underground fittings - the
zinc is leached out (dezincification) - use the mnore expensive bronze
ones.

AWEM

Hi Andrew,

The copper is already underground - it's the main supply, in plastic covered
15mm copper.

The MDPE is a rerouted section for a new incoming position. Down the line,
when I have a digger, I plan to take the MDPE all the way to the road,
where the water company say they will happily connect it to my cock for
free.

I'm taking the chance to plan for upgrading the pipe bore at the same time.

Cheers

Tim