Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default About to become a *true* DIYer ...

Jules coughed up some electrons that declared:

On Sun, 31 May 2009 20:22:26 +0100, Tim S wrote:
Don't forget to include 1 pair ear defenders, 1 pair googles or face
visor and one pair of leather gloves. The first two are *essential* and
the last will save your hands.

I've almost never used ear defenders with a 4 1/2" one (exception being
when working in really confined spaces), but couldn't agree more about the
goggles - I have had metal filings fly up into my face on more than one
occasion.

Yep. My Bosch was solid, but also a bit of a screamer. But one should
consider how cheap all these protective devices are - why damage yourself
for the sake of a fiver?

A dust mask can be very useful, too - particularly if sanding (you can get
some nice sanding discs for 4 1/2" grinders, and they do a really good job
of clearing rust and paint from old metal - but don't half generate a lot
of dust in the process!)

Ah - forgotton about them. Also you can get a wire brush for the 4.5" and
other random stuff like mortar rakes.

(Oh, I cut down an old unused power line the other day which was the only
thing holding up a dead tree - the tree broke into several bits when it
hit the ground, so technically they can be used for cutting up trees
Jules

Hehe