Posted to alt.home.repair
Ulysses Ulysses is offline

Default Tecumseh/Craftsman Carb Rebuild

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On May 30, 7:50 am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Don Young" wrote:

-snip-

Some small engine shops seem to not want to
work on carburetors, just replace them.

IMHO, they are the *good* shops.
You can buy a carb for $50 and put it on in 5 minutes with a 99%
possibility that it will be perfect out of the box. . . . or spend
$20 in parts and an hour in labor for 60/40 chance.

I like the odds of the first- especially when I'm paying for the
labor.

Jim

I am right in the middle of this with my Toro. I found a guy on
Craiglist who looked at my mower. He said I can buy a $12 rebuild kit
but then have to worry about the welch plug and still not be sure it
would work, or I can spend ~$60 and throw a new carb on in less than a
half hour.

This is exactly why I'm asking. I don't want to (and can't afford) to waste
the $12 or whatever if it won't fix the problem. OTOH i'd rather only spend
$12 if I can get away with it.

He didn't charge me for the diagnostics since he didn't fix the mower.
Nice guy!