Posted to comp.sys.laptops,sci.electronics.repair
Bob Larter Bob Larter is offline

Default Wierd Toshiba 1905-S301 Laptop Behavior

prc1 wrote:
On Mon, 25 May 2009 17:17:59 +1000, Bob Larter
wrote:

prc1 wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2009 07:23:34 +1000, Bob Larter
wrote:

prc1 wrote:
On Thu, 14 May 2009 00:02:02 +1000, Bob Larter
wrote:

prc1 wrote:
[Please don't top-post!]
Yes, the AC plug LED illuminates when AC is plugged in, and
extinguishes when disconnected. I checked my performance settings in
the utility, and for AC power, settings were for maximum performance.
Did you make sure that you checked the *Toshiba* power management
utility, rather than the Control-Panel one? Try twiddling the settings &
re-saving them, just to be sure that they haven't been scrambled.
Bob--

Yep, tried that. No change.
** To respond, remove the crap from my addy... **
Weird. I've got to say that it doesn't look even slightly like a
hardware fault. I think it's going to turn out to be a software problem
of some kind. You could eliminate/confirm software by booting the laptop
from a Linux "Live Boot" CDROM, & seeing if the problem goes away.

Bob--

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I've been too busy to
read the group until now.

I just tried loading an Ubuntu 8.1 live CD, then attempting the
download. D/L speed was about 14K/second over wired Ethernet (slow!)
and started bogging down at about the 30MB mark on a 140-odd MB
download. It finally locked up and stopped downloading about twenty
minutes (and a few MB) later. The machine itself, however, would still
respond to mouse clicks, opening other windows, et cetera.

Really weird. Your Internet connection is ADSL, right? Is there any
chance of you trying another computer on your modem? I ask because I've
seen symptoms like that on ADSL/Cable modems, but never with hardware
problems on a PC. The test will tell you whether your modem (or ISP!) is
the problem, or whether you've got an unusual fault in your laptop.

Hi, Bob.

Nope, I'm on a cable modem. My other computers on the network work
just fine with it, so it's not that interface. Wireless works A-OK
too--just the wired network connection misbehaves when the laptop's on
AC power.

Have you tried updating the NIC drivers?