Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner Steve Turner is offline

Default Looking for router lift recommendations

-MIKE- wrote:
If it were me I'd rather get something like this:

http://grizzly.com/products/3-4-HP-Shaper/G0510Z

That way, you still have your old router when you need it, as a
router, and will have a real shaper when you need it. The lift
mechanism on my shaper is flawless and changing bits is a snap. I
don't have, or know anything about the one above, but I bet it's
better than most routers used as a shaper...

It's also nice to have both, I often have one setup in the shaper, and
a different one in the router, saves a lot of fussing with set-ups.

Considering what a good router and table cost, that's a great idea.
I know "HP" is a debatable topic, but the 3/4 HP would worry me,
especially on something designed for such large cutters heads.
Their 1-1/2HP is on sale for 500 bucks.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/1-1-2-HP-Shaper/G1035

My Dad has this model, and it's a lot of machine in a nice compact
package. Beats the hell out of a router for swinging the big bits, and
if you're running standard shaper cutters (instead of router bits) you
also have the ability to invert the bit and reverse the motor rotation,
which is *very* handy for certain profiles.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.