Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

Default About to become a *true* DIYer ...

Ok, the time has come for me to get into DIY properly

So, I need an angle grinder, as clearly this is the solution to 99% of DIY
problems

Current DIY armoury include a cheap 400w hammer drill, a cheap orbital
sander, both from Woolies (RIP), cheap leaf blowers, flymos, hedge trimmers
from DIY sheds etc. I can just about manage to use most of them. Though not
at the same time. Quite happy with hand tools, though likely to cut myself
on anything sharp

I know what an angle grinder looks like, and I know where to buy a basic
one, thanks to recent threads here.

But, what sort of discs do I need, and what sort of jobs can I do with
it/them?

Typical tasks that I might undertake: Chopping up scrap metal, cutting up
trees (and parts thereof), filing things that are too big down to things
that are less big, making souffles (OK, not the ideal tool), and just
generally removing things that are in the way.

I have a pathalogical fear of power tools and DIY thanks to my father
Also I find the use of an orbital sander or hedgetrimmer physically
draining (last bout of hedge trimming gave me the shakes for a day!). Dare
I use an angle grinder? Am I man enough?

Seriously, based on the above, what do I need as a basic spec, and what
discs do I need (some seem astonishingly expensive!).

Al.