Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default OT - A intriguing "open lette"r on health care ...

"dpb" wrote in message ...

I didn't say anything about _which_ estimate you have to submit; only that
they will only pay the amount of the lowest that is submitted that covers
the required work.

That is not true, they indeed have to pay what ever price the shop charges
that you choose. Been there and done that for years on end.

Most body shops I've dealt with will come to within a few $$ of any other;
they all use one of a few software packages for estimating so their labor
estimates are all within a few tenths of hours/task and they all use the
same or nearly after-market parts markets as well. The biggest
differences I've seen is finishing but the highest here will tell you when
he makes the estimate it's higher than most other shops in town because of
that and he'll knock it down when the insurance company balks (as they
always do).

The insured calls the shots as to which repair shop does the work, the
repair shop may drop the price to play along.

If it's a chromed piece I'll make it be OEM; otherwise anymore I can't see
any significant difference in the aftermarket parts of significance. Just
been thru it w/ Mr Buck that couldn't stay on the side of the road where
he belonged...

Work around genuine and aftermarket and you will soon learn to tell the
difference. I bought and sold both for 15+ years. Basically you still get
better parts when you pay more. some times this will make a difference some
times not. After market sheet metal will dent easier and often rusts
sooner. Considering chrome, most often the repaired/rechromed bumper will
have a life time guarantee, the Body shop however will not often tell you
that.