Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default door knob mounting hole

On May 29, 9:32*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
On May 29, 9:23*am, charles cashion wrote:

All of the door knobs in house are brand Dexter. The knobs are
approaching 25 years old. They are all mounted in 1 7/8" holes.

Q1: Are there other door knob manufacturers that make 1 7/8" hardware?
If the answer is NO, then I must enlarge my present holes
to 2 1/8".

Q2: How can I hold a hole saw steady and centered while it is
enlarging a 1 7/8" hole to 2 1/8" ?
Thank you,
Charles

You can do it this way or buy a jig at your hardware storehttp://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/skill-builder/0,,193167,00.html

I have done it much the same way except I start with a hole saw that
fits the exiting hole then drill in from opposite the side the plywood
is clamped on just enough to get the pilot bit through the plywood.
This gives me a reference hole for the larger hole saw.

Jimmie