Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Tecumseh/Craftsman Carb Rebuild

"Ulysses" wrote in message

I've never removed any "welch" plugs--do you use an awl or something
similar? One came with a rebuild kit that I bought for a weed-wacker but
there were no instructions and I didn't replace it. I also never got the
thing running. So far, in all my years using small engines I've never
needed to rebuild a carburator--just cleaning them seemed to be all they
needed (except for the weed-whacker but I think that's a personality
conflict).

I also got a service manual for the engine, which helped.

The service manual should show you haw to take out the Welch plug. Yes, you
use a sharp punch through the top of the plug and pry it out.

Cut and past from the Tecumsche manual.
__________________________

Remove all welch plugs if cleaning the carburetor.
Secure the carburetor in a vise equipped with protective

jaws. Use a small chisel sharpened to a 1/8"

(3.175 mm) wide wedge point. Drive the chisel into

the plug to pierce the metal, then push down on the

chisel to pry the plug out of the hole (diag. 32).

Welch Plugs

To install a new welch plug after cleaning the carburetor,

secure the carburetor in a vise equipped with protective

jaws. Place the welch plug into the receptacle with the

raised portion up. With a punch equal to, or greater than

the size of the plug, merely flatten the plug. Do not dent or

drive the center of the plug below the top surface of the

carburetor. After installation of the welch plug, seal the

outer diameter with finger nail polish or equivalent (diag.

42).