Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Rain diverter for rubber membrane roof?

wrote in message
Nate Nagel wrote:
wrote:
There's a small roof (about 6' wide by 4' deep) above my front door.
Rain and melting snow run off the front of the roof onto the stairs,
making them icy in the winter.

I'd prefer to just install a rain diverter strip. The websites that
describe them all show shingle roofs, but ours is a rubber membrane
roof with copper flashing at the edge. Is a rain diverter an option?

This may sound like a dumb question, but why not a gutter? Maybe
something like copper, since it's at the front of the house and
therefore probably noticeable?

That would be another option, but I thought it would be overkill for a
roof this small. There would also be the aesthetic issue of running
the downspout down the narrow wooden post holding up the roof.

Other similar (19th century) houses on my street don't have gutters on
their porch roofs. I'm not sure what they do have -- it's tough to
see a diverter from the ground.

Jimmy

You do not have to use a downspout. Just let the gutter dump the water to
the side like a rooftop diverter would.

Don Young