Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Tecumseh/Craftsman Carb Rebuild

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
This from hard experience. Tecumseh carbs, the bolt that
holds the bowl on. The bolt has a tiny passage, which gets
clogged easily. Said passage meters the fuel to the mower.
I'd have a miserable time trying to explain how to find the
passage, but look in the mower end of the bolt. And look
along the side, the part that's not threaded. Use magnifying
lens and good light.

You can clean this passage with carb cleaner, or the copper
wire selected from a strand of lamp cord. Please don't use a
steel poker, might widen the hole. Size matters, men.

Yes, that hole is small. I took one apart and did not see it. A friend
told me how small it is and it was just above the threads of the bolt.
The threads only went about half way up the bolt. I used a very small
copper wire to clean mine out. I had to use a magnifying glass to see that
hole.

There are about 8 diffeant kinds of Tecumseh carbs. It helps to have the
book that shows how each one is made.

I was looking around and one site mentioned a series that has a small ball
that rattles around if the carb is shaken. If it gets stuck you have to
get another carb as you can not service it.

Some small carburetors have a very small hole sideways thru the body spigot
in the center of the bowl where the bowl retaining bolt screws in, also. If
there is a proper fuel level in the bowl and all passages are clean, the
carburetor should work fine. Some small engine shops seem to not want to
work on carburetors, just replace them.

Don Young