Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default door knob mounting hole

"charles cashion" wrote in message
All of the door knobs in house are brand Dexter. The knobs are approaching
25 years old. They are all mounted in 1 7/8" holes.

Q1: Are there other door knob manufacturers that make 1 7/8" hardware?
If the answer is NO, then I must enlarge my present holes
to 2 1/8".

Q2: How can I hold a hole saw steady and centered while it is
enlarging a 1 7/8" hole to 2 1/8" ?
Thank you,
Charles

Ther are a couple other methods that have not been mentioned. You can make a
tight fitting plug from a piece of 2"X2" or 2"X4" lumber (or a tree limb)
and redrill with the larger saw. I once was able to put two hole saws on the
same arbor with the smaller one sticking out farther for a guide. It didn't
work great, but I got the job done.

Don Young