Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] woodturner@fholder.com is offline

Default Easy Rougher Review

On May 28, 1:46*pm, Ralph wrote:
Almost a year ago I noticed a new tool on the market, the Ci1 Easy
Rougher (http://www.easywoodtools.com/), like many I was
unconvinced. However, I did know of a similar tool some bowl turners
in southern Oregon use. Over the winter I discussed this tool with one
of those turners and learned why they had developed the “Big Ugly
Tool”.

I also discounted this tool until I saw it demonstrated extensively at
the Desert Woodturning Roundup. I watched the inventor turn a bowl
from a round wet blank to a final turned bowl, turning outside and
inside with the Ci1 Rougher. I was impressed enough to purchase both
the large one and the smaller version. I purchased them through Craft
Supplies booth, they were giving a 10 percent discount and free
shipping at the show.

When we returned home, they were waiting for us. I found the most
awful piece of wood in the shed and mounted it poorly, i.e., not the
truest mounting and went to work. The blank was approximately 10" in
diameter to begin with, but I only obtained about a 5" bowl out of it.
The thing was spalted and rotten, but the Ci1 impressed me
significantly. There were no catches, it just cut away the wood. I
found that a final pass with a bowl gouge gave me a better finish, but
one could have started sanding with 60 grit sand paper and finished
the bowl well. This really is an excellent roughing tool.

I then tried it on a spindle, a piece of good wood, Red Birch that was
dry. At 1000 rpm there was some tear out, but it roughed the wood
quickly. I turned the lathe up to 3000 rpm and got a very smooth cut.
Not as smooth as a skew chisel, but very smooth, ready to sand with
220 grit. I decided to try to make a goblet out of the wood. I
completely turned it at 3000 rpm and only had to use an Eliminator to
round out the bottom of the bowl. Otherwise the goblet was completely
turned with the Ci1. I understand they now have a round tool available
which would have eliminated the need for the Eliminator tool.

Needless to say, I feel they were a good purchase. You can turn beads
with it but not tight coves. Incidentally, I recently turned a ball
with it using the Soren Berger Sphere Caliper for measuring and
layout. It turned out very well, it was about a 2" ball, so I couldn't
make a Chinese Ball from it. The rougher did a nice job turning the
ball.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net