Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default door knob mounting hole

There are 2 solutions to the problem.

First as it was suggested is to make or buy a jig to enlarge the holes to
the 2 1/8 standard size.

The second way is to use Kwikset knobs that do not have the larger diameter
bodies. Some of there models (The cheaper ones.) just have two posts.
These will fit into the hole you have and you can if need be just use a wood
rasp to widen the slots a bit if it is too snug.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"charles cashion" wrote in message
All of the door knobs in house are brand Dexter. The knobs are
approaching 25 years old. They are all mounted in 1 7/8" holes.

Q1: Are there other door knob manufacturers that make 1 7/8" hardware?
If the answer is NO, then I must enlarge my present holes
to 2 1/8".

Q2: How can I hold a hole saw steady and centered while it is
enlarging a 1 7/8" hole to 2 1/8" ?
Thank you,
Charles