Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y
Bob Larter Bob Larter is offline

Default Bit of a Con Really - Follow-up ...

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
I think that I would have to contest your point of "very limited
control". All of the (recent) half-way decent LCD screens that I have
seen to date, have a perfectly adequate contrast ratio. Certainly, the
one in my kitchen produces deep enough blacks and bright enough whites
to be absolutely fine under the pretty intense flourescent light that I
have in there. This is one of the reasons that I question the
requirement to extinguish areas of the backlighting in order to
'improve' the rendition of blacks.

If you're just watching casually under high ambient lighting, the quality
of the blacks is pretty irrelevant. It's when you're doing some serious
viewing under subdued lighting that it matters. And this is exactly where
ordinary backlit LCD falls over against CRT.

Exactly. It's why CRTs are better than LCDs for editing photos, for example.