Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Richard Cranium[_2_] Richard Cranium[_2_] is offline

Default Repair Triplett 930PL Meter? - 630pl zoom.jpg (0/1)

On Fri, 29 May 2009 05:27:44 -0400, JW wrote:

On Thu, 28 May 2009 22:17:54 GMT (Richard Cranium)
wrote in Message id: :

On Thu, 28 May 2009 17:02:50 GMT,
(Michael Todd)
wrote:

I've had a Triplett 930PL for over 40 years and it's always performed
well. In recent years, I've not needed it for resistance
measurements, so I removed the batteries. Just today I found that the
voltage readings are terribly off. Imagine my surprise when working
on a outdoor irrigation timer when I measured the input voltage at
205V (should be 115-120) and the transformer output at 32V (should be
24). I tried a few other measurements using a bettery charger and the
readings are always significantly off. I have not even opened the
case yet because I don't know what to look for (if anything). Is
there a specific repairable/replaceable component that I should be
inspecting? TIA.

Here's some more info:

I opened the case and visually inspected the replaceable parts. There
are two resistors that seem like they may be faulty. One especially
is bulging at one end. The manual states only the resistance value of
these resistors as 2.5 ohms and 25.12 ohms. It does not say what type
they are or any other specification value. Any ideas on the type,
power, % etc.? It looks like a pretty easy replacement using the
existing leads, but I need to identify what parts to order.

A bulging resistor? That's a new one... Can you take pictures of the
parts?

Well ... maybe 'bulge' was a poor word choice. However, there does
appear to be damage at one end of a resistor. Not sure if a binary
will be allowed here, but I shrunk a picture down to 56K to show the
damaged part.