Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark Zacharias Mark Zacharias is offline

Default Repair Triplett 930PL Meter?

"Michael Todd" wrote in message
I've had a Triplett 930PL for over 40 years and it's always performed
well. In recent years, I've not needed it for resistance
measurements, so I removed the batteries. Just today I found that the
voltage readings are terribly off. Imagine my surprise when working
on a outdoor irrigation timer when I measured the input voltage at
205V (should be 115-120) and the transformer output at 32V (should be
24). I tried a few other measurements using a bettery charger and the
readings are always significantly off. I have not even opened the
case yet because I don't know what to look for (if anything). Is
there a specific repairable/replaceable component that I should be
inspecting? TIA.

Some old meters require the battery to bias the AC rectifier. The original
AVO 7 is this way. Pretty standard type VOM, but the AC voltage readings are
wrong if no 1.5 volt battery is in place.

Mark Z.