Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design
Tim Williams Tim Williams is offline

Default Wiring a Wall Type RJ45 Jack

wrote in message
Now we're seeing a push towards SATA over PATA. Although a hard drive
is a serial device, and a PATA signal has to be serialized to write to
the hard drive, I don't see what's being accomplished by converting to
SATA. Again, the only real advantage is a skinnier cable and the
ability to hot-plug the units.

See also: PCI-E. Supposedly, at insane data rates (real circuit bandwidth
1GHz), even if signal quality can be managed, propagation skew between bus
lines is ever more difficult (have you seen all the squiggles on a
motherboard between processor, northbridge and RAM?). So why not skip bus
width altogether, crank the clock rate (pushing circuit bandwidth even more
though), and use multiple asynchronous channels. The advantage lies in
clocking each stream at its own rate, rather than clocking 32 or 64 bits at
an identical rate. Bytes could arrive out-of-order, but buffering done
on-chip is a lot faster than a maze of wires on-board.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.