Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default knot sealer?

On Thu, 28 May 2009 12:59:44 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 5/28/2009 11:12 AM Joe spake thus:

On May 28, 7:26 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:

In article , "joe"
wrote:

What is the best knot sealer for pine wood?

Shellac

Or any oil based primer containing shellac, like Kilz, Zinnser,
others.

Oil-based primer does *not* contain shellac, which is incompatible with
the solvents (naphtha, xylene, etc.) used in such paints. (Shellac
dissolves in alcohol, not oil-based solvent.)

I'd second the previous emotion: shellac is the best. (Primer is OK,
though.)

Shellac is the best from what I understand (3rd). It ill prevent
bleeding of the pine resin, through the paint.

4 cents