Posted to rec.woodworking
CW[_3_] CW[_3_] is offline

Default Leigh D4 dovetail jig driving me nuts

If I paid $450+ dollars for a dovetail jig and I had to finish with a
chisel, I would be more than a little upset. Call the manufacturer. See what
they have to say.

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
om...
On Wed, 27 May 2009 19:30:39 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

Thinking about this, all other things being equal, rotating the router
180
degrees should be a way of measuring how far offset the router bit is
from being centered in the bushing. It should magnify the offset by 2
if I'm looking at this correctly.

If by that you mean cutting first one way and then again with the 180
rotation, you're right.

Some routers have the ability to center the base plate - does yours? Of
course that still doesn't help if the bushing itself is not perfectly
centered or if the router body changes its position when raised or
lowered.

Given all the variables, one solution is to adjust everthing as best you
can, cut the tails a little tight, and pare with a chisel to get the
"perfect" fit.