Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_2_] John R. Carroll[_2_] is offline

Default Will of the People 1 win, 1 loss

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

How can she NOT be confirmed? The Democrats can do anything they want.

Not if the Republicans don't vote for cloture. They can tie it up
forever.

Maybe they will even 'Bork' her.

They don't have enough material to work with, Wes. Bork was known to have
come down against Roe v. Wade and that issue split the country at that
time. If you look at the poll taken a day or two ago and the
commentariat's b.s.'ing today, the right is grasping for something that
will give them big numbers. They haven't found it yet.

And she has a pretty thick protective cover -- she's an
up-by-your-own-bootstraps type. The smartest comments today from the
conservative side, which some other pundits are praising as the best
thinking about it that's seen print over the last few days, was Ed Rollins
(former RNC Chairman and Reagan's political director) piece for CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/05/...ins.sotomayor/

That's where they are. Since Bork, no one is going to talk about Roe v.
Wade before they're confirmed.

BTW, I read the decision regarding the 2nd Amendment that she was involved
in. I don't know what the NRA has said or will say about it, but she was
exactly right in her decision. In fact, right after the Heller decision,
the NRA and the Cato Institute started looking for a case to follow up
Heller so they could get the decision incorporated. Morton Grove and
Wilmette changed their laws before they could become the victims. g
Sotomayor was, very conservatively, sticking to the law as it had been
written and to the rights issue as it had been decided in Heller. Circuit
Courts of Appeals generally do NOT take it upon themselves to incorporate
rights under the 14th until the Supreme Court has done so in a decision of
their own.

I've subscribed to Newt's weekly letter Ed.
http://www.humanevents.com/

Count me out if this is the future of the Republican party.
You can count Republicans out at the polls while you are at it.

JC

--
Ed Huntress