Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default Colour code for 3-wire room stat?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim S wrote:
Exactly Dave - they should have left the whole installation side alone
and lead red/black as the single phase scheme. It would probably have
been betetr for everyone if the appliance flexes had been left alone,
but I've already said that I can see the point of a world standard for
those - pity it wasn't our standard.

But houses don't get ebay'ed across borders, so I see no need whatsoever
for this level of harmonisation.

There certainly was a need for a change in flex colours - as something
like 30% of the adult male population with blue eyes is red/green colour
blind. And mistaking those was the most dangerous situation. Hence the
green/yellow stripe - even a dog could tell that one apart. ;-)

Oi, I am slightly red/green colour blind and I have never wired a plug
up wrong. :-)

I have seen someone who was totally colour blind, paint parts of an
aircraft that were green and brown and get them back to front.

And having standardised on one set of colours for flex- why have different
ones for rigid wiring? Makes no sense at all.

That also puzzles me. Thank Gawd I have lots of cable with the old
colours left.

Dave